Artist: David Hazeltine, Eric Alexander, Steve Nelson, John Webber, Joe Farnsworth
Label: Criss Cross Jazz
Year Of Release: 2010
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
1. Aki’s Blues (Buddy Montgomery) 6:53
2. For Cedar (David Hazeltine) 7:00
3. A Lil’ Bit (David Hazeltine) 7:19
4. Inversions (David Hazeltine) 7:18
5. Loverman (R. Ramirez) 8:33
6. Dave’s System (Eric Alexander) 7:13
7. Everything I Love (Cole Porter) 10:08
8. Tin Tin Deo (Dizzy Gillespie) 9:43
When it comes to New York’s top-shelf gigs, few pianists get the job done like David Hazeltine. Much sought for his sensitivity as an accompanist, Hazeltine is also an inventive composer and arranger who is able to bring a fresh approach to the mainstream.
For his eighth set as a leader for Criss Cross, the pianist brings his talents to the fore with three originals, including a dedicatory For Cedar. Rounding out the set are a few select standards including a new twist on Dizzy Gillespie’s Tin Tin Deo.
Longtime collaborators Eric Alexander (tenor sax), John Webber (bass), and Joe Farnsworth (drums) mix it up with expert vibist Steve Nelson for a colorful set that puts all of Hazeltine’s wares on full display.