Artist: Martha Davis & Spouse
Album: Slightly More Than Wonderful
Label: Jasmine Records
Year Of Release: 2021
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
01. Two Sleepy People
03. You’re Slightly Less Than Wonderful
04. I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
05. Keepin’ out of Mischief Now
06. Umbrella Man
07. You’re Getting to Be a Habit with Me
08. Have You Ever Been Lonely?
09. Back Street
10. The Surrey with the Fringe on Top
11. Life Is so Peculiar
12. I Like the Likes of You
13. Your Feets’ Too Big
14. Jitterbug Waltz
15. Ain’t Misbehavin’
16. It’s a Sin to Tell a Lie
17. The Spider and the Fly
18. How Can You Face Me?
19. Honeysuckle Rose
20. Lulu’s Back in Town
21. Blue Turning Grey over You
22. Hold Tight (Want Some Seafood Mama)
23. Handful of Keys
25. Goodbye, Honey, Goodbye (Live)
26. Vip-I-Ty Vip-I-Ty Vop (Live)
27. Martha’s Boogie (Live)
28. We Just Couldn’t Say Goodbye (Live)
Martha Davis, often called a female Fats Waller, was one of the brightest pianist-singers of the 1930s and 40s, and was indeed trained by Waller himself. She didn’t gain true stardom, however, until the early 1950s, when she married and partnered bassist Calvin Ponder, forming the new group Martha Davis and Spouse.
They became a sensation and their sold-out club appearances led to national TV exposure with Perry Como, Garry Moore and Steve Allen. Martha’s infectious humour, boisterous singing style and powerful piano, reminiscent of Nellie Lutcher, Julia Lee and Hadda Brooks led to two critically-acclaimed albums for ABC-Paramount, 1957s ‘Martha Davis & Spouse’ & 1958s ‘A Tribute To Fats Waller’ which are now available on CD for the very first time.
Rounding out the release are four rare transcription soundtracks, making a chock-filled collection of 28 songs, guaranteed to put a smile on your face and a tap in your foot.