Artist: Mulgrew Miller & Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen
Album: The Duets: A Selection of Duke Ellington
Label: Bang & Olufsen
Year Of Release: 1999
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
01. C Jam Blues (Ellington) – 3:54
02. Sophisticated Lady (Mills-Ellington) – 4:47
03. Pitter Patter Panther (Ellington) – 3:20
04. I Got It Bad (Ellington) – 5:31
05. What Am I Here For (Ellington) – 4:19
06. Mood Indigo (Bigard-Ellington) – 4:48
07. Blues in the PM’s (Miller) – 3:21
08. Come Sunday (Ellington) – 4:53
09. Just Squeeze Me (Ellington) – 5:08
10. Solitude (Ellington) – 4:56
11. Caravan (Tizol-Ellington) – 3:51
12. O.D. Blues (Pedersen) – 3:12
This CD was produced to pay homage to one of the greatest Jazz musicians of this century.
With the aid of two world-renowned musicians – Danish bass player Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen and American pianist Mulgrew Miller – we have produced a recording that emphasises the timeless quality of Duke Ellington’s music and stands as a tribute to his unique talent.
Written some sixty years ago, the pieces performed here are based on Ellington’s legendary duets with Jimmy Blanton which brought piano and bass together in such a new and exciting way. Pedersen and Miller have taken the same idea and come up with a modern interpretation of Ellington’s compositions that captures the same spirit and mood.
Recorded in Copenhagen in a single session, the result is a lyrical and magical performance that serves to demonstrate the rich heritage and lasting influence of Ellington’s music.
The desire to create original experiences with character and depth – and the exploration of an added spiritual dimension that challenges convention – form the common bond between Duke Ellington and Bang & Olufsen.